The Service Scheduler is the junior member of a scheduling staff of two professionals who handle the critical work of scheduling all NFTA-Metro Bus and Rail services. The Service Scheduler will work closely with the Senior Service Scheduler as well as individuals around NFTA-Metro to design, schedule, and execute high quality, on-time, rider friendly public transit, in adherence to ATU contract constraints. The Service Scheduler resides in the Service Planning Department and works daily with transportation planners and data analysts on bus and rail service improvements and modifications. This position reports to the Manager of Service Planning, and work is performed under the daily direction of the Senior Service Scheduler. Duties are performed with independence requiring the exercise of discretion, sound judgment and initiative. Duties may include lead work in the absence of the Senior Service Scheduler. Work is reviewed through conversation, observation, analysis of reports and recommendations and results achieved.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
• Create quarterly bus and rail transit schedules and operator schedules using a transit scheduling program.
• Reviews both bus and operator schedules to ensure compliance with union contracts, work rules, and service guidelines.
• modifies transit schedules based on analysis of ridership and operations data.
• Oversees production of public timetable publication process.
• Develops various scheduling reports and documents required for provision of service.
• Performs periodic field inspection to ensure adequate scheduling and coordination of route operations.
• Coordinates and provides technical guidance to clerical staff.
• Oversees staff assignments and directs the activities of a limited number of field staff.
• Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with colleagues throughout the agency.
• Performs additional duties and tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Intermediate or greater word processing and excel skills. Ability to think analytically. Skilled at problem solving and puzzles. Strong writing and oral presentation skills. Ability to read, interpret, develop, and communicate information related to bus routes and schedules. Ability to communicate and work effectively with co-workers on different projects. Ability to quickly learn department practices, rules, and regulations. Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions. Ability to keep detailed records and accurately maintain files. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Experience using HASTUS or other scheduling software preferred. Interest or experience in public transit, transportation planning, urban planning, geography, or similar preferred.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds).
Work is performed in usual office conditions with rare exposure to disagreeable environmental factors.
Bachelor’s Degree in geography, public administration, urban planning, transportation planning, computer science, data science, or related field. Experience in planning, logistics, or data analysis preferred. Experience using HASTUS or other scheduling software preferred.
Or, Associate’s degree in Business Management, data science, or related field and two (2) years of experience in service planning with at least one (1) year of training and experience in the HASTUS systems, or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Send NFTA employment application, resume and cover letter specifying the job number 109-23-N to:
NFTA Human Resources
181 Ellicott Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer