SENIOR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR
||Grade 10 ($31.9445-$39.7505)
||ILA LOCAL 2028
The Senior System Administrator will function as the SME (Subject Matter Expert) for a cross section of servers and applications. Responsibilities include managing the overall server health, backup, monitoring, application support and operating system patching and update. Working close with 3rd parties, both internally and externally the Senior System Administrator is responsible for the end-to-end technology solution within the Authority.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
• Responsible for maintaining upwards of 200 Microsoft Windows and Linux Servers.
• Maintains a solid working knowledge and direct hands-on experience managing Microsoft directory services and components such as DNS, DHCP, ADFS, Certificate Services, Mail Relay, File Management, PowerShell Scripting etc.
• Maintains a solid working knowledge of network and system administration tools. These tools include but are not limited to PRTG, Trend Micro Security Products, LogMeIn, Endpoint Central, Service Desk, CommVault and other ManageEngine Products.
• Solid technical understanding of server hardware including (Dell) with hands on experience completing hardware repairs as needed.
• At least two years of hands-on experience maintaining virtualization technologies including Nutanix AHV and/or VMWare ESXi 7.X is required.
• Has a solid working knowledge of Office 365 administration and related applications such as Teams, One Drive and SharePoint.
• Experience with Multi-Factor Authentication and conditional access using Azure AD and Okta.
• Works escalated helpdesk issues for the areas they are responsible and assists and advises the helpdesk administrator/s as required.
• Manage relationship(s) with vendors to support NFTA systems.
• Creates, updates and maintains technical documentation for applications and systems within the department.
• Works with groups and users in other areas to assist and manage applications that they utilize.
• Maintains and monitors backups for systems they are responsible for. Tests backups periodically to ensure they are complete and functional.
• Monitor the systems daily and respond immediately to security or usability concerns.
• Upgrade systems and processes as required for enhanced functionality and security issue resolution.
• Review application logs and respond/remediate events reported.
• Performs required audits in a timely manner and remediates issues as required.
• Comfortable researching, demonstrating, recommending, and implementing new tools, technology, and processes that satisfy business needs.
• Maintains a sense of urgency for issue resolution and able to provide root cause analysis.
• Perform additional duties and tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of computer operating systems. The ability to utilize resources at hand to discover, understand and resolve issues on complex systems. Confidential or sensitive information may be encountered during work activities and the expectation to keep this information private and secured is required. After hours support and on call may be required as the need arises.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and /or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds) with the occasional need to lift heavier equipment and materials with or without assistance as required.
Work is performed in usual office conditions with rare exposure to disagreeable environmental factors.
Associates degree in Computer Information Systems and 2+ years of relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) or similar credentials are preferred. Preferred experience would include 5+ years supporting systems and network operations in medium to large organizations. A solid understanding of Microsoft Windows Servers and the services that support them, Office 365, Network monitoring and support, Virtualization platforms that include VMWare and Nutanix AHV. Linux experience is preferred. Must be able to work well in a team atmosphere. Must be a self-starter and work well without continual supervision. Must be able to pass all background and security clearance checks.
Send NFTA employment application, resume and cover letter specifying the job number 033-23-N to:
NFTA Human Resources
181 Ellicott Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
Or email to: email@example.com
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer