DEPUTY DIRECTOR, HUMAN RESOURCES
This position will serve as the primary backup to the VP of Human Resources and will support the activities and programs of the Authority’s strategic plan as it relates to Human Resources. This position is accountable for assisting in the development of operational and strategic plans for the human resources branch; ensuring compliance with appropriate laws and regulations; and fostering a positive labor relations climate. This position requires the ability to interpret specific governmental rules and regulations, which have established guidelines and apply them to a variety of situations. This position also requires the ability to oversee recruitment, compensation, benefits administration, staff development and training and related human resources activities. The ability to address new and/or complex situations for which there are no established guidelines. Creativity and judgment are required in resolving problems. This position exercises a high degree of independent judgment and decision making. The incumbent is responsible for interpreting regulations, contracts, and agreements. Assignments and instructions are received orally or in writing and work performance is reviewed through personal consultation, written reports and observation of results obtained.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
• Managing recruitment, selection and employment activities (e.g., creating Authority strategic recruitment and succession plan; overseeing the recruitment, testing and interview process of applicants; managing new employee orientation process).
• Providing guidance and support of benefit administration, including retirement, group health, dental, optical, life insurance and COBRA administration.
• Developing departmental operating procedures; evaluating procedures and technology solutions to improve Human Resource data management.
• Providing guidance to managers and employees concerning Authority policy and government regulations.
• Managing activities related to salary planning and performance evaluation for non-represented employees.
• Participating in labor relations activities (e.g., reviewing proposals, preparing for contract negotiations, administering contracts).
• Supervising subordinates (e.g., assigning and reviewing work; rearranging work assignments in response to departmental needs; providing technical guidance; establishing work standards and ensuring they are met; identifying training needs and approving programs; administering discipline; evaluating performance).
• Performing a variety of other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
This position requires in-depth understanding of federal and state guidelines, rules and regulations pertaining to human resources administration. This position may involve the following:
• Ability to apply technical knowledge to the activities and programs of the department and provide guidance to staff.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing in order to successfully make presentations and prepare reports.
• Effective interpersonal skills in order to establish and maintain productive working relationships under potentially adverse circumstances.
• Analytical and decision-making abilities to evaluate people and programs and take appropriate action.
• Strategic planning skills and experience
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds).
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources and ten years of Human Resource Management experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Professional Human Resources Certification and/or Master’s degree are preferred.
Send NFTA employment application, resume and cover letter specifying the job number 006-23-N to:
NFTA Human Resources
181 Ellicott Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
Or email to: email@example.com
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer