MANAGER, SERVICE PLANNING
Responsible managerial and administrative work in planning, organizing, directing, and coordinating transit service planning and scheduling, transportation planning studies, and research and analysis. Work is performed under the general direction of the Director and/or Deputy Director of Public Transit with considerable latitude for the exercise of independent judgment as to the technical aspects of the service planning function.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
• Plans, organizes, and directs the activities of the service planning department to ensure that efficient, cost-effective service is provided to meet the mobility needs of the public.
• Supervises the work of employees engaged in planning, scheduling, and monitoring transit service.
• Conducts, review and research transit plans and forecasts.
• Reviews and approves transit service studies and proposals to assure consistency with federal, state and local laws and regulations.
• Works with regional and intergovernmental agencies to develop regional transportation policies and methods of achieving those objectives.
• Oversees development and utilization of specialized computer programs and databases to plan, schedule and monitor transit services and analyze solutions to transit service delivery.
• Represents the Authority at federal, state, regional and local transportation planning sessions.
• Schedules, assigns, reviews, and evaluates the work of subordinates.
• Perform other duties and tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Knowledge of principles and practices of transportation planning, transit planning and transportation demand management. Knowledge of transportation planning models and forecasting methods. Knowledge of land use planning and zoning concepts and regulations. Knowledge of federal, state, regional and local transportation programs, funding sources and regulations. Knowledge of components of regional transportation plans, including the Congestion Management process. Knowledge of supervisory principles, practices, and techniques. Ability to understand and interpret long and short-range transportation planning models. Ability to evaluate future transportation needs and propose appropriate plans, policies, and solutions to meet those needs. Ability to develop clear and concise comprehensive studies, reports, and presentations. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, departments, and the public. Ability to administer consultant contracts. Ability to supervise subordinate staff, including coordinating, assigning, monitoring, and evaluating work; hiring, training, counseling, and disciplining staff; and processing grievances.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds).
Work is performed in usual office conditions with rare exposure to disagreeable environmental factors.
A Bachelor's degree (Master’s Degree Preferred) in Transportation Planning, Urban/Regional Planning, Transportation Engineering, or a closely related field and five (5) years professional transportation/transit planning experience to include evaluating policy options and making recommendations on a variety of proposed transportation/transit plans and policies, including transit and transportation demand management, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Send NFTA employment application, resume and cover letter specifying the job number to 135-22-N:
NFTA Human Resources
181 Ellicott Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
Or email: email@example.com
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer