This position provides high-level technical support to the data collection, planning and scheduling functions in the Service Planning Department, as well as managing customer content and client data and information. The position shall assist in the development and tracking of service-related performance measures. The employee must have advanced knowledge of transit planning software and data, and other computer software (word processing, spreadsheet, database, coding, and presentation software). This employee must possess creative skills in computer use and coding for transit planning, and the use of geographic information systems for analytic purposes. The employee works with considerable independence and must be proactive and highly organized to effectively perform multiple tasks of a complex nature. The employee meets with vendors and suppliers as a representative of NFTA Metro on issues related to transportation data.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
• Develops computer programs and maintains computer databases related to transit service.
• Performs analysis of service effectiveness based upon adopted service standards, ridership, costs, and revenues.
• Performs data support for the analysis of scheduling effectiveness regarding efficiency of running times, routing, transit fares, and ridership.
• Maintains and supports customer information data systems.
• Programs and maintains various automated systems and databases, including automated vehicle announcements, fare systems data, headway signage, customer facing signage creation, bus stop data, automated passenger counting data, CAD/AVL, automated trip itinerary planning, geographic information systems and data sharing between systems.
• Assists in the collection staff assignments and reporting requirements.
• Develops and implements processes for tracking and reporting on service-related performance measures.
• Develops analytical support for proposals to provide justification for creating new service or modifying existing service.
• Prepares effective technical reports presenting proposals and recommendations.
• Prepares and presents proposals using PowerPoint or similar programs.
• Performs additional duties and tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Knowledge of transit planning software and planning techniques in order to analyze data issues and develop solutions. Ability to think analytically and propose and implement new solutions to transit service planning challenges. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office computer software (word processing, spreadsheet, database, visual basic, and presentation software). Ability to learn and utilize new and proprietary software and to modify and customize features to produce output specific to the needs of the Authority. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, including to company officials and systems vendors and support staff.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation. Tasks may also involve observation or field inspection outside of an office environment.
Work is primarily performed in usual office conditions with rare exposure to disagreeable environmental factors.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Geography, Urban Planning, or related fields, and two years responsible experience in transit data systems; mathematics and/or statistics or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Send NFTA employment application located at jobs.nfta.com, resume and cover letter specifying the job number to 040-22-N:
NFTA Human Resources
181 Ellicott Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer