MANAGER OF INSURANCE
Responsible managerial and administrative work in planning, organizing, and coordinating the Authority’s insurance program. Interfaces with insurance brokers, insurance carriers, actuaries, and independent adjusters. Work is performed under the general direction of the Director of Risk Management and Special Projects with considerable latitude for the exercise of independent judgment as to the technical aspects of the insurance procurement program and risk transfer program.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed with and under the general direction of the Director of Risk Management and Special Projects within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
• Coordinates the administration and procurement of the insurance renewal function with continuous analysis of risks to be covered or self-insured, method of placement and allocation of premium costs to operating divisions. Recommends changes to insurance policies.
• Assists in developing and establishing insurance specifications for leases, agreements and vendor contracts.
• Assists in evaluating risk management strategies with liaisons in business center branches to determine new risks and operations, visiting locations as necessary for analysis of the risks and the changes required to minimize risks.
• Maintains the certificate of insurance submission process for all tenants, construction, design, real estate, procurement, and service providers.
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge of changes in insurance markets, insurance companies and new forms of insurance through other buyers of insurance, management services, brokers and agents, consultants, publications, and membership in professional groups.
• Maintains files and documentation that supports the NFTA insured fleet listing and files; NFTA certificate tracking listing; NFTA fleet driver listing; and the external DMV (License Event Notification System) LENS system.
• Generates risk management related reports as needed.
• Participates in the reviews/updates of risk management written policies and procedures.
• Performs a variety of other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the principles of insurance and insurance concepts, terminology, and practice, including coverage, costs, and claims procedures. Knowledge of accounting principles as they relate to risk management and insurance programs. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with insurance carriers, vendors, and tenants. Ability to plan, implement, and refine systems and procedures used to review, analyze, and control risk management objectives. Ability to present effective oral and written reports including statistical and financial analyses.
Ability to work in a confidential atmosphere. Ability to effectively handle multiple projects concurrently. Ability to use personal computer to create, modify and update information and reports. Knowledge of Outlook, Excel, Word, Access and Adobe a must. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to solve problems independently whenever possible. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of employees.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds).
Work is performed in usual office conditions with rare exposure to disagreeable environmental factors.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Public Administration or related field and three (3) years responsible, senior-level experience in the development and administration of insurance, accidents, and loss prevention programs; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. An Associate of Risk Management or Chartered Property/Casualty Underwriter preferred.
Send NFTA employment application located at jobs.nfta.com, resume and cover letter specifying the job number 010-21-NR to: email@example.com
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer