CUSTOMER RELATIONS SPECIALIST
||STARTING RATE: $15.7312
Under the Direction of the Customer Relations Manager, this position involves interacting with customers face to face in the Customer Relations Center. Performing clerical tasks as directed and the handling of a cash drawer as required. This position also involves utilizing a computerized telephone system, social media, chat forums, email and various computer programs to assist customers by providing requested information regarding bus and rail routes, fares and schedules and customer comments.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
• Work in the Customer Relations Center or perform duties in the Operations Control Center as assigned
• Perform routine office tasks as directed and assist work associates in routine directions or instructions.
• Answer computerized telephone system regarding personal inquiries concerning the company’s routes, fares and schedules.
• Answer inquiries via social media, chat forum and or email
• Read and understand online computer maps, headway sheets, timetables and fare schedules.
• Interview complainants to secure significant information and process complaints and commendations electronically.
• Provide information relative to transportation service such as walking instructions, reroutes and other information when required.
• Utilize work processing computer programs to include but not limited to an administrative point of sale system, trip planner, Google maps, internet, AVL/GPS bus system and email.
• Distribute information pertaining to any Metro related product or service.
• Review and accept (not approve) applications for paratransit.
• Review, accept and approve applications for the reduced fare program.
• Basic record keeping and inventory reporting.
• Accept payments for any Metro products or service including but not limited to selling passes, processing payments for notices of violation, reduced fare identification cards etc.
• Management of passenger account-based Fare Collection process
• Take photos for Metro related passes.
• Provide general information on trip planning, bus routes, schedules, re-routes, fare structure, etc.
• Receive customer complaints or commendations and distribute them to the appropriate department.
• Maintain the concourse schedule racks and replenish as needed.
• Assist with the use of customer interface systems (i.e. ticket vending machine).
• Perform additional duties as required.
• Answer inquires face to face in rail station as assigned
• Conduct fare collection training in the community as assigned
• Wear designated; identifiable NFTA/Metro uniform as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Prior work experience in the area of customer service and in a call center environment. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, knowledge of proper telephone techniques and effective problem solving skills. Proficient with basic computer skills and use of a keyboard. Knowledge of the Buffalo Niagara area and ability to read and understand online computer maps, headway sheets, timetables and fare schedules. Interact professionally, tactfully and effectively with the public and other department personnel. Prior work experience using social media. Demonstrated ability to perform work requiring skills, qualifications or experience comparable to that required for this job.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and material of light weight (5-10 pounds)
Work is performed in usual office conditions and outside in the community as needed.
Associate Degree or one to three years in a customer service role. Ability to type at least 25 words per minute. Obtain a passing grade on the required aptitude tests. Tests include, Spelling and Grammar, Basic Math, Typing and Intermediate Word.
Send NFTA employment application located at jobs.nfta.com, resume and cover letter specifying the job number 091-21-M to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer