||FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION
Managerial confidential position reporting to Chief Financial Officer. Guarantees accurate and timely weekly and bi-weekly disbursement of multi-union payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes of all NFTA and NFTM employees consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws and union contract specifics.
Ensure the processing of new hires, temporary workers, transfers, promotions and terminations are processed accurately and timely up to and including notification to New York State Retirement and or other Pension Plans as applicable.
Establish policies/procedures to increase compliance and build efficiencies in the collection and management of labor and benefit time.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
• Supervise all payroll staff – NFTA and NFTM as well as participates in or recommends hiring, promotion, development, discipline, and appraisal of all payroll staff.
• Critically review and analyze payroll, benefits, and tax procedures in order to formulate, recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations.
• Audit W-4s, payroll balance sheets, YTD earnings, etc.
• Insure accurate and timely distribution of W-2s.
• Communicate actively with Operations, HR, Billing (Project Accountants) to review cross-department impacts and project costs and reconcile data sharing.
• Work with Labor Relations and Human Resource Department to directly assist with and attend union contact negotiations on behalf of management, as deemed necessary.
• Partner with HR and benefits in aligning and implementing a more sophisticated payroll and benefits system.
• Ensure systems are set up and updated to reflect our current employee wages, benefits, sick and vacation time to administer union and non-union contracts.
• Manage regular preparation of relevant management reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deduction, benefit deduction, etc.).
• Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Proficient in the use of MS Office (especially Excel). Working experience of payroll tax at the federal, state and local level. Ability to manage and lead staff to excellent performance. Must be a team player. Must be highly organized. Knowledge of Lawson a plus. Prior system conversion experience a plus. Ability to interpret Union Contracts a plus.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds).
Work is performed in usual office conditions with rare exposure to disagreeable environmental factors.
A Bachelor of Science with three (3) years of supervisory experience and five (5) years of professional-level payroll preparation experience, preferably experience in public sector setting or a combination or equivalent years of education and experience.
Send NFTA employment application located at jobs.nfta.com, resume and cover letter specifying the job number 162-21-NR to: email@example.com
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer