As Counsel, this position is responsible for serving as the lead Corporate Administration Counsel for the NFTA with a focus on Airport/Aviation law. Experience in Airport/Aviation law is preferred but it is not required. This is highly responsible legal work, characterized by a variety of professional level duties and responsibilities involving the delivery of legal services of a complex nature. Work involves the review and/or preparation of complex legal documents, the preparation of briefs and legal opinions, and the preparation and review of resolutions of a complex nature. Responsibilities also include representation of NFTA or various departments in administrative proceedings. Work is performed under the general direction of the General Counsel and is reviewed through observation, conferences, reports and evaluation of results achieved.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
• Providing legal support to the Aviation Business Group which operates the Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF) and the Niagara Falls International Airport (IAG).
• Negotiates commercial transactions and agreements, including complex property and business deals, settlement of both litigated and non-litigated disputes, leases, easements, procurements, software licenses, and concessionaire and rental car agreements.
• Coordinates the execution of major projects, including assigning, reviewing and processing tasks from other departments.
• Drafts and/or reviews contracts and other legal documents.
• Handles NFTA corporate administration process, including preparation of and oversight of Board resolution process, interpretation of and amendments to corporate by-laws, interpretation of enabling legislation, legal advice on all procurement issues, preparation of procurement guidelines, legal opinions regarding Freedom of Information Law, Open Meetings Law, Personal Privacy, Protection Act, Hatch Act, Public Officers Law and preparation of regulations.
• Conducts legal research concerning legal problems or projects, and prepares reports, memoranda and opinions containing proposed or recommended courses of action.
• Conducts investigations and interviews based upon alleged or potential legal problems, and prepare reports or opinions based upon findings made.
• Represents various departments in administrative proceedings.
• Prepares resolutions and other proposed laws, rules and regulations.
• Prepares leases, contracts and other legal documents.
• Represents the Authority on various outside committees.
• Conducting compliance functions including compliance with environmental laws, rules and regulations.
• Assisting the NFTA Grants Department in complying with the laws, rules and regulations of the Federal Aviation Administration.
• Resolving Bid protests and other vendor disputes.
• Interacting with various Federal and State regulatory authorities such as the US Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration, General Services Administration and the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.
• Perform additional duties and tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods, materials and practices of legal research. Thorough knowledge of the laws of New York, institutional law, local legislation pertaining to NFTA, public transportation laws, rules and regulations of the Federal Aviation Administration, and administrative law and regulations, and other items listed in the Essential Functions. Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with government officials, employees, court officials, and the general public. Ability to draft legal instruments, proposed legislation, legal opinions and other legal documents. Ability to effectively represent the NFTA in administrative proceedings or before oversight agencies.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds).
Work is performed in usual office conditions with rare exposure to disagreeable environmental factors.
Graduation from an accredited law school with a Juris Doctor degree, possession of a State of New York license as a practicing attorney and admission to the New York State Bar and five (5) years of professional experience as an attorney, which includes a minimum of two (2) years of experience pertaining to the public sector and governmental law. The ideal candidate will possess prior in-house legal experience for a governmental entity with experience in Airport/Aviation law and commercial transactions.
Send NFTA employment application located at jobs.nfta.com, resume and cover letter specifying the job number 061-21-N to: email@example.com
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer