SPECIALIST, UNIT CHANGE
||COLD SPRING MAINTENANCE
||STARTING RATE: $21.7272
||7:00 AM to 3:30 PM
This job involves all manner of preparation and completion of operations of any type of work normally done in the department.
• Giving adequate instructions relative to any or all work performed in the department
• Analyzing defective, unserviceable or deteriorating conditions of units, parts and appurtenances to determine the extent of needed adjustment, repairs and replacements
• Examining, testing, checking and repairing engines and transmissions. Performing all types of tool grinding and all manner of lay-out work, and setting up valve grinders, and doing work to specification tolerances
• Exercising attention and vigilance to prevent and avoid work failures
• Improvising minor work expedients in the course of department operations
• Explaining and demonstrating to others all job details, methods and procedures when directed to do so by the supervisor or his deputies; performing any or all of the work assigned as duties for any jobs in subordinate or comparable classifications and perform all duties with and speed and accuracy satisfactory to supervisory authorities
• Exercising judgment relative to the discovery and reporting of unsafe and irregular conditions; protecting all company property during job performance
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Must be able to wear and utilize all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Must be able to take instructions and assignments to qualify for work in other classifications. Must develop knowledge of Company policies pertaining to the work involved. Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Must be able to maintain effective working relationships.
Tasks involve the intermittent performance of physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of bending, squatting, reaching, kneeling, climbing (ladders), twisting (upper body) and/or rotating. May also involve lifting (20-80+ pounds), carrying (up to 10 pounds), pushing and/or pulling (200+ pounds) materials and/or equipment. Job involves standing two hours at a time for three hours per day, sitting for three hours at a time for three hours per day and walking two hours at a time for three hours per day.
98% of time is spent inside, 2% of time is spent outside, exposing employee to natural environmental conditions. Work exposes employees to fumes, dust, gases, odors and mist. Employee is also exposed to noise, vibration, hazards (slip and fall, chemicals) and motorized vehicles.
Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must possess and maintain a valid New York State Commercial Driver’s License.
To be an eligible candidate for the position, persons who were not full-time Metro employees on or before December 16, 1996 will be required to pass the Advanced Comprehensive Skills Test selected for the position.
Send NFTA employment application, resume and cover letter specifying the job number to 018-20-M:
NFTA Human Resources
181 Ellicott Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer