PLANNING PROJECT MANAGER
This position is responsible for the management of planning projects from inception to completion. The work required is highly technical in nature and relies on coordination between planning, design, environmental engineering, construction, safety, and other internal departments. Additionally, this individual is responsible for the coordination of work performed by consultants with respect to specific projects including engineering design, planning, and environmental analysis. This position requires an individual that has a high level of working knowledge of project management principals and state/federal regulatory and reporting requirements. Work is highly independent, with a limited amount of daily supervision required.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.
• Works with engineering, planning, health safety and environmental quality, and other departments to ensure successful completion of project scope items and milestones.
• Coordinates tasks and regularly meets with outside consultants to ensure that projects are on-time and within the project budget.
• Ensures that project reporting requirements are being fulfilled and appropriate documentation complies with the standards of FTA, EPA, local regulatory authorities and NFTA policies and procedures.
• Develops budgets and negotiates scope of services for projects and alterations to those project documents including change orders.
• Ensures successful completion of project scope items, within specified budgets.
• Assists in the development of agreements and contracts with local governmental agencies.
• Assists in the preparation of applications for regulatory permits, approvals and variances necessary for project construction and operation.
• Performs departmental administrative duties (e.g., drafts correspondence, attends meetings).
• Prepares internal and external technical reports, summaries and presentations including monthly management and progress reports.
• Regularly meets with direct supervisor to provide updates on project progress and to receive directives.
• Interacts with the public to resolve problems, conflicts and to reflect community desires for specific project outcomes.
• Performs a variety of other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of modern planning and engineering projects. Ability to plan projects, make accurate cost estimates, and develop appropriate delivery timelines. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with state and federal regulators, contractors, and other public entities. Ability to manage and make positive progress on a number of projects in various stages of completion at the same time. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, other departments, and the general public.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds).
Work is performed in usual office conditions with rare exposure to disagreeable environmental factors.
A Bachelor's degree is required, with Masters preferred, with coursework in engineering, architecture, or urban planning, and a minimum of five years of relevant work experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Candidate must possess well-developed communication, decision making, and team working skills. Proficiency is required in MS Office and project management software packages.
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer