MANAGER, LABOR RELATIONS
This is responsible work that involves managing labor relations and related human resources activities for the Authority including administering multiple collective bargaining agreements and managing the collective bargaining process. Work involves supervising, training, and coordinating other staff in the development, implementation, and administration of labor relations programs, conferring with department managers on development of labor relations strategies. The incumbent makes decisions and prepares reports plus makes recommendations on important policies and programs. Work is performed with considerable independent judgment and initiative under the general supervision of the Human Resources Director and is reviewed through conferences, reports, and observation of results achieved.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position (and as assigned).
• Manages labor relations activities and implements and interprets labor agreements, pay plans, rules, and procedures.
• Assists in the development and implementation of goals and strategies for collective bargaining.
• Represents the Authority as Chief Spokesperson in the collective bargaining process (negotiates labor agreements, drafts proposals in support of the negotiating process, administers collective bargaining agreements).
• Represents the Authority in investigating and settling potential grievances and employee complaints.
• Responds to and maintains records relating to the grievance procedure.
• Consults with and advises department managers and supervisory employees regarding labor matters, policy, and contract administration.
• Provides analytical, statistical, and strategic support in labor contract negotiations.
• Ensures that human resources activities and programs are consistent with and supportive of the Authority’s visions and goals.
• Supervises the work of HR staff, as assigned.
• Performs additional duties and tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Knowledge of employment organizations and personnel administration processes, laws, rules, and regulations. Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and guidelines pertaining to labor relations and collective bargaining. Knowledge of computer systems and operations to implement and administer human resources operations and services. Knowledge of statistical concepts and methods. Ability to develop and implement progressive policies and practices to achieve affirmative action, productivity, cost containment, and other human resources objectives. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, union officials and representatives from outside agencies. Ability to develop administrative practices, procedures, and systems for personnel programs. Ability to analyze facts and to exercise sound judgment and to arrive at valid conclusions. Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing to groups and individuals.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds).
Work is performed in usual office conditions with rare exposure to disagreeable environmental factors.
A Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Public or Business Administration, or related field, and seven (7) years of professional-level experience in labor relations involving experience in public sector, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
TO APPLY: Send NFTA employment application, resume and cover letter specifying the job number to 156-20-N: NFTA Human Resources 181 Ellicott Street Buffalo, NY 14203 Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer